Crimea is a peninsula jutting into the Black Sea. We treat it here as a region of Russia because Russia controls the area, but see also the boxed text below.
Sevastopol, also known as Sebastopol, is in Crimea.
Yalta is a resort town on the Crimea peninsula in Russia.
Simferopol is the capital city of the Crimea. For the most part this is a place of transit to the coast or to the mountains.
Bakhchysarai is in Crimea. Once the capital of the Crimean Tatar Khanate, it is undergoing a steady cultural rebirth since the Tatars were allowed to return from Uzbekistan in the early 1990s.
Kerch, is a city on the Kerch Peninsula of eastern Crimea.
Balaklava is a small sleepy town in Crimea. On the edge of the city of Sevastopol, on a well-protected bay on the Black Sea, is the small harbor town of Balaklava.
Yevpatoria or Eupatoria is a city in Crimea with more than 100,000 citizens.
Feodosiya is a beautiful, quaint little resort town on the Black Sea coast in Crimea.
Alushta is a small city in the Crimea. You can take the 'famous' Crimean over mountain trolley bus but you may be disappointed.
Sudak is in the Crimea, in Ukraine. It was once a fairly important city; Marco Polo mentions it and the Arab traveller Ibn Batuta rated it one of the world's four great ports, as of the early 1300s.
Koktebel is in the Crimea, in the Russia. Also known as Planerskoye, is one of the most popular resort townlets in the Crimea, situated on the shore of the Black Sea about halfway between Feodosiya and Sudak.
Alupka is a city in Crimea. It is famous as a beach resort, and a favourite holiday destination for many citizens of the former Soviet countries.
- Location: Ukraine, Europe
- Population: 1,970,000
- Latitude of center: 44° 56' (44.9333°) north
- Longitude of center: 34° 6' (34.1°) east
- Average elevation: 200 meters (656 feet)
- Wikidata: Crimea
- Wikimedia Commons: Crimea
Maps of Crimea
Other Names for Crimea
- Crimean Tatar: Qırım Cumhuriyeti, Qırım Muhtar Cumhuriyeti
- English: Autonomous Republic of Crimea
- French: République autonome de Crimée
- Russian: Автономная Республика Крым, Крымская Автономная Советская Социалистическая Республика, Крымская область, Республика Крым
- Ukrainian: Автономна Республіка Крим, Республіка Крим
In Other Languages
For More Information
Thanks for Sharing